At the Cyber Threats to Your Business Event, hosted by the Reston Business Advisory Council on February 26, business owners learned how to address the threats of today’s cybersersurity landscape from experts in IT, banking, and cyber insurance.
Here are some key takeaways every business owner needs to know:
- People can be your biggest risk – make sure your staff is trained and that your IT infrastructure is set up to mitigate risk.
- Email Phishing – Look for red flags such as poorly written, typos, "Urgent" wording, generic addressee, and unusual “From” address that doesn’t fit the apparent sender
- Increase in phishing attacks through messaging apps like SMS (texting) and social media messaging apps.
- Use your financial institution for guidance on how to mitigate banking fraud and executive impersonation.
- Wire fraud incidents have more than tripled from 14% in 2014 to 43% in 2018. Wires are attractive for fraudsters because the speed of the transaction.
- There are potentially enormous costs associated with even a small cyber breach or attack. Cyber insurance can help alleviate costs for forensic examination, regulatory notifications, credit monitoring, data recovery, and many other associated costs.
If you’re interested in learning more about our next event, please contact Verity Commercial's Marketing and Communications Professional, Kellie Cisler, at email@example.com.
Hosted by the Reston Business Advisory Council – a group of business advisors whose purpose is to inform business owners of best practices in purposefully growing a company both professionally and personally. Members include:
- Scott Dondershine, Esq., CPA at David, Brody & Dondershine, LLP
- Ellen Jennings, CEO, BEI, Outsourced IT Support
- Haig Kondayan, CFP, Wealth Management Advisor at Northwestern Mutual (Business and Personal Financial Planning)
- Bob Moskal, Quantive: M&A, Exit Planning & Business Valuations
- Kahlil Perez, Partner at The Capital Group (Employee Benefits)
- Moe Sadeghi, CPA at Ross, Langan, & McKendree, LLP
- Ken Traenkle, CoFounder & Principal at Verity Commercial, LLC
- Dayana Villanueva, Vice President, Business & Professional Banking at M&T Bank